Sunday 17 February 2013

Taxman!

"There's one for you, nineteen for me.."
So George Harrison wrote, before I was old enough to worry about Income Tax.
Go on...have a listen.

Actually, it was a long time before I did have to worry about Income Tax, because until 2008 I'd always worked for some employer or other and had all my tax deducted at source. So having to keep accounts and set it all out every January for these last four years still seems a bit strange.

But I've learned on the way. I've been submitting my return a year in arrears - and leaving it as late as possible by doing it online at the very end of January. I was most indignant last year when HMRC demanded a payment "on account". I eventually worked out that this must mean "money up front", because I'd been earning money for nine months of the current tax year, which of course had to be taxed, and this was Mr Taxman's way of estimating what I might owe him. I have resolved to catch up with this, so I shall make another return on April 6th for the year 2012-2013.

I really want to clear the financial decks because I am retiring from Hereford Cathedral Choir at the end of March - Easter Day, as it happens - so one source of income will cease from then, but on the 'plus side' I shall have my weekends free, like normal people do, and I shall be able to spend more of my weekdays teaching, advertising and web-geeking without having to look at the watch to be in time for Evensong!

"Retiring from..." makes me sound terribly decrepit and incapable. Before anyone comments on that, I'd like to say "I'M NOT!" Or at least, I don't feel it - and it's how you feel that counts. It's just that I've done this cathedral singing at Hereford for just over 36 years and I really think it's long enough - and I want to go before someone tells me I have to go!


Colin

No comments:

Post a Comment